What is Online Rummy?
Online rummy is played in several different variations, be it 13 card rummy or 21 card rummy. Different online gaming portals offer their unique variations of this highly versatile game. These online rummy sites also have their unique system of points and rewards that encourage a lot of people to play rummy online. Moreover, an online rummy game opens up players to an arena of highly competitive players all across the globe, who invest a lot of time, energy, and money on real cash rummy games as well. This is one of the reasons why online rummy cash games are so popular in India and other parts of the world too. When playing online players have the option to either play free rummy games or real cash rummy games. This makes the online version of the rummy card game even more popular as players have the opportunity to hone their skills in online rummy before investing in online rummy cash that is used to play online rummy cash games.
Objective of Rummy
The primary objective of a rummy game is for players to have all their cards arranged in valid sequences and sets before they are able to declare and show their cards. Players when playing online rummy, aim to score the lowest points even if they are unable to arrange all their cards in groups of valid sequences and sets. However, winning is generally the top priority of all players and to do this they need to form at least one pure sequence accompanied by another sequence or set out of their rummy cards. All the other cards in a player’s hand can be arranged in any type of sequence or set so long as they are valid according to the rules of rummy. When one player declares and shows their hand of cards, all other players must also do so and depending on what cards each player has in their hand, they are assigned points based on the standard rummy points system.
Why Play Online Rummy Games?
Since rummy is played online with real cash, players who compete regularly and win rummy games, win real cash prizes. For some people, playing a rummy cash game can become a fruitful past time where they can earn a handsome amount out of their hobby. Most of the online rummy sites host regular tournaments of real cash rummy where players get eliminated from the tables based on the highest points accumulated and the player with the least number of points at the end of the tournament takes home a massive cash prize. You can also opt to play a free rummy game online if you are hesitant to spend your money on the first go. It is important to remember that when you play rummy online, your chances of winning are entirely dependent on your skills and understanding of how to play rummy. To know how to play rummy online, you will need to understand the basic rules of playing rummy.
Hundreds of thousands of Indians today play Indian rummy online on different types of online portals and applications from the comfort of their mobile devices. This is why the platform on online rummy games has become highly competitive, making it equally rewarding to play. In the case of online rummy cash games, the higher the buy-in, the higher are the rewards. As you progress upwards and become an experienced online rummy player, you can go for higher buy-ins and stand to win real online rummy cash prizes. Whether you play deals rummy, pool rummy, or points rummy, the use of chips makes winning real cash from online rummy quite simple and straightforward. Chips are used in a rummy cash game and these chips have a definite monetary value. Once you win a game, you can then encash your chips for real cash.
How to Play Rummy on RummyBaazi
In online rummy, a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 6 players can join at the table. Each player is dealt a particular number of cards depending on whether you play 13 card rummy or 21 card rummy. The rummy card game is played with two or more decks of cards depending on the number of players. After the players have dealt their cards, the remaining undealt pile of cards is kept face down. This pile is known as the draw pile or the closed deck. A random card is selected from this pile of cards and this is marked as the cut joker, also known as the wild joker. There is another pile of cards that gradually builds up as the game of rummy proceeds. This is known as the open deck or discard pile.
The rummy card game is known by many as a draw and discard game. This is because when the rummy card game begins, each player has to first draw a card from either the open or the closed deck and then discard a card from their hand onto the discard pile. Simultaneously, players need to keep arranging their cards into valid sequences and sets. Finally, to win a game of online rummy, players must have all their cards arranged in valid sequences and sets, which will result in getting zero points.
Points System in Rummy
Points in online rummy are calculated in a simple system that is linked to the rank value of the rummy cards. All the printed cards like the Ace, the King, the Queen, and the Jack are valued at 10 points each in a game of online rummy. Whereas, the numerical cards starting from 2 to 10 of each suit are given points equal to their numerical ranks. This means that in a game of 13 card rummy or 21 card rummy, the numerical cards like the 2 of Hearts, 5 of Spades, 7 of Diamonds, and 10 of Clubs, are each given points of 2, 5, 7, and 10 respectively.
When you play rummy online, if you are not able to arrange all the cards in your hands into valid groups of sequences or sets, then the value of the ungrouped cards in your hand will amount to the number of points assigned to you for that rummy game. In this way, at the end of an online rummy game, the player who wins will have melded all their cards and have zero points. On most online rummy sites, the rules of points rummy allow the ranking of all players based on their decreasing number of points.
Important Rummy Terminology
- Deck– In rummy, a deck of cards is the full pack of 52 playing cards with an additional printed joker.
- Dealer– The dealer in online rummy is usually a programmed software that deals cards to all the players in an unbiased way.
- Discard Pile– This pile is also known as the open deck and consists of all the cards discarded by the players playing at the table of an online rummy game. The cards in this pile or deck are always facing upwards.
- Draw Pile– This pile of cards is always placed face down in a game. This is why it is also known as the closed deck. This pile is formed from the remaining undealt cards in a rummy game.
- Impure Sequence– An impure sequence in a game of rummy is a group of 3 to 5 cards of the same suit but consecutive rank. This sequence can be formed with the help of printed and cut jokers.
- Impure Set– An impure set in a game of rummy is a group of 3 to 5 cards of the same rank but a different suit. This set can include one or more printed or cut jokers.
- Pure Sequence– A pure sequence in the rummy game is a sequence void of any jokers. This means that, when playing online rummy, a group of cards of the same suit but consecutive rank without a printed and a cut joker is considered as a pure sequence. For example, a 6 of Hearts, a 7 of Hearts, and an 8 of Hearts form a pure sequence.
- Pure Set– A pure set is a collection of 3 to 5 cards of the same rank but a different suit, that is completed without the help of either a printed or a cut joker. For example, in a game of online rummy, a Queen of Diamonds, a Queen of Spades, and a Queen of Clubs form a pure set.
- Joker– A Joker is the most useful card in the game of rummy and is assigned zero points. Jokers are of different types depending on the type of gameplay. A joker can be a printed joker, a cut joker, an upper joker, or a lower joker.
- Printed Joker– The Printed Joker or the Funtoosh Joker as it is called in some places, is a card that has the image of a joker or a jester printed on it.
- Cut Joker– The Cut Joker is known by different names in different variations of online rummy. Its alternative names are the Sterling Joker, the Wild Card Joker, the Titlu, and many more.
- Upper Joker– The Upper Joker or the Upper Card Joker is basically the card having one rank higher than the cut joker for a particular rummy game. It is also known as the Up Joker, Upplu, Paplu, and so on.
- Lower Joker– The Lower Joker is the card having one rank lower than the Cut Joker for a particular game of online rummy. It is also known by the names of Lower Card Joker, Down Joker, Nichlu, Taplu, and so on.
- Drop– Drop is an option given to all the players of online rummy wherein they can exit the round of deal if they think that with the cards dealt to them, they will not be able to successfully build melds. Most online rummy sites offer the options of a first drop and a middle drop to all players.
- Meld– Building melds is the ultimate goal if players want to win a game of rummy. Melds are groups of valid sequences and sets that players need to declare and show their hand to win a game of online rummy.
- Declare and Show– To declare and show in a game of rummy means that a player has successfully arranged all the cards in their hand into valid melds of sequences and sets. However, if they have not done so, then according to the rules of rummy games, it is not considered a successful declare and show.
- Dublee– When playing 21 card rummy, a dublee is a pair of cards of the exact same rank and suit.
- Tunnela– In 21 card rummy, a tunnela is a group of three cards having the exact same rank and suit. A joker (either printed or cut) cannot be used to complete this.
- Marriage Hand– A marriage hand in a game of 21 card rummy is basically another pure sequence that is formed with the lower joker, the cut joker, and the upper joker.
Strategies to Win Rummy Games
This section is exclusively meant for serious gamers who already know how to play rummy but are looking to learn a few tricks and strategies so that they can win big on real cash rummy games and challenge some of the most seasoned players out there. Read till the end if you want to know a few hidden tips and tricks to ace your rummy game.
The high-value cards like Ace, King, Queen, and Jack are considered a burden by many rummy players and most of them tend to immediately discard these rummy cards in their first two or three turns. When playing real cash rummy games, pro players often hold on to a pair of high-value cards until half of the draw pile or closed deck has been used up. Only then they can discard these high-value cards if they’re still not able to meld them. This is a neat but risky rummy strategy.
Keeping a watch on the discard pile/open deck in a rummy game will help you get an idea of what cards your opponents do not need. By using the method of elimination you can guess what rummy cards your opponents actually have in their hand. Moreover, as a pro tip, never draw from this pile unless it allows you to instantly complete a meld.
Win Big Playing Rummy Cash Games
Most beginners do not have an in-depth knowledge of how to take advantage of online rummy sites and win real cash prizes on these different variations of online rummy cash games. In this section, you will find all the tips and tricks on how to make the best of your online rummy gaming experience and win the most online rummy cash.
There are both freeroll and cash tournaments when playing rummy online games. Players can take part in weekly or monthly tournaments and win huge cash prizes if they win the entire tournament. However, the level of competition in such a rummy cash game is quite high and it is suggested that only experienced players go for it in their first attempt.
Another way to earn real cash in online rummy is to refer the game to a friend. Players can suggest playing online rummy and give their friends a referral code with the help of which they can join the same online rummy community. This gives players a handsome cash bonus. In this way, you can compete with your friends as well who are fans of the rummy card game.
Online rummy sites often offer new players with exciting offers. With the help of the offers, they can begin their journey of earning big cash prizes as they progress in their rummy game skills. Joining bonuses, first deposit bonuses, free spin bonuses, etc. are some of the attractive bonus offers that players can avail of to begin winning at the real cash rummy games at a competitive level.
Players who stick to playing more of the free rummy games, often wait for such festive offers to be promoted by their respective online rummy sites. Such players earn some smart money by taking part in rummy games specific to a particular festive offer and with their experience, they can win huge cash prizes on a festive occasion.
Since the feature of dropping out of a rummy game is like a lifesaver for many who are dealt a bad hand, it is wise to always analyze the type of cards you are dealt in a game of online rummy. When playing a real cash rummy game it is even more important to know when to drop. A first or a middle drop needs to be carefully planned based on the cards in your hand so that you don’t lose a lot of money. Most experienced players can look at their hand of cards and understand easily whether to keep playing or go for a first drop to lose a minimum amount of cash.
Variants of Rummy Game
13 Card Rummy
The most popular variant, the 13 card rummy, has been given this name because each player is dealt 13 cards. It is considered the simplest and easiest form and that is why it is far more popular than any other variation of the rummy card game. Since this variation of rummy is played with just 13 cards, it is a swift and fast-paced rummy game that requires a high amount of concentration and flexibility in strategies. 13 card rummy is a truly exciting and adrenaline rushing experience for players. Moreover, the different types of gameplay modes in 13 card rummy make it highly challenging as well as a rewarding experience for players of all ages. Let’s look into the details of the different variations of 13 card rummy game.
In this variation of 13 card rummy, players pool in their buy-in value and this is set as the total value of the table. The player who wins this online rummy game takes home the entire amount at the table. This again has two modes of play, which are the 101 pool rummy and the 201 pool rummy. In the former mode, the player who reaches 101 points first, is eliminated from the rummy table. Similarly, in the latter version, this elimination threshold is 201 points. This makes pool rummy a highly competitive form of 13 card rummy game since all the players at the table are focused on indirectly eliminating the other by using cunning strategies.
This version of 13 card rummy begins with a decided number of rounds or deals, and at the end of which, the player with the highest number of chips wins the rummy game. For example, deals rummy can be played with a best of 2 or best of 3 deals, and at the end of the 2nd or 3rd deal respectively, the player with the highest number of chips, wins. In each deal, the winner receives chips from other players based on the value of cards in the hands of the losers. Finally, the player with the maximum number of chips among the other players wins the online rummy game.
This is yet another highly popular and sought-after variant of 13 card rummy that most players love to play online. In points rummy, players play for a pre-decided value of points and the sum of all the points of the players at the table make up the total points. However, the player with zero points is ultimately declared the winner of the rummy game.
21 Card Rummy
The 21 card rummy variation is by far the most complex form of rummy game. Unlike 13 card rummy, in this variant, players are required to form a minimum of 3 pure sequences, 8 dublees, 3 tunnelas, a group of 8 jokers, and 2 marriage sets. For 21 card rummy, there are certain specific rules and terms that you need to know in order to win this online rummy game.
Jokers have a special place in the 21 card variant since there can be multiple jokers in a single rummy game. The printed joker, the cut joker, the upper joker, and the lower joker, are all important rummy cards needed to successfully declare and show in a game of 21 card rummy. For example, if the 5 of Spades is randomly chosen as the cut joker, then the 4 of Spades and the 6 of Spades become the lower joker and the upper joker respectively for that particular rummy game.
Now, to win a game of 21 card rummy, players need to form dublees, tunnelas, and marriage hands/sets in addition to pure/impure sequences and sets. When playing 21 card rummy online, it is important to note that a dublee is a group of two cards of the same rank and suit, while a tunnela is a group of three cards of the same rank and suit.